The original plan was to buy an Optris camera and sell it after MFMP's
experiments were completed.  Bob Greenyer even tried to buy THE camera used
for the Lugano experiment.  Turns out the Lugano camera was busy being used
in another experiment.  Bob worked with the manufacturer to get a camera,
but the big issue is that the camera needs special factory calibration to
work in the temperature range of the Lugano experiment, and there was a
long backlog in the calibration facility.  In the end, they offered to rent
MFMP a camera calibrated to that range for a very reasonable price.  You
are right, it is very nice of them - AND - Bob is a good negotiator.