  From: MarkI-ZeroPoint
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 8:55 PM
  Subject: [Vo]:Re: [Vo]:FYI: Strong light–matter coupling in two-dimensional
atomic crystals

  Axil,

  A few of your statements may not be entirely true, depending on the
prevailing conditions…

  “Coherence in these half matter half light systems is a function on the
strength of the pumping mechanism.

    Coherence can occur at any temperature as long as the incoming pumping
energy is strong enough.

    When we have a BEC fed with incoming pumped nuclear energy, very high
temperatures can be reached.”

  The coherence that I’m referring to, of any significant scale, is highly
unlikely in condensed matter above a few K.  Inside a void in a crystal
lattice, is entirely a different thing.  If you’re referring to a BEC inside a
void or microcavity, then I’m ok with the above statements…

  Assume you already have a BEC consisting of 100 Cs atoms… all of their wave
functions are coherent.

  Now introduce a single photon of heat.  That photon will be absorbed by *only
a single atom*, thus, changing its wave function and vibrational amplitude.
It’s wave function is now somewhat discordant with the remaining 99 atoms.
From here, there are a couple of possibilities:

   1) the single atom sheds a photon which is then absorbed by one of the other
99 atoms. This process can go on for however long until the photon gets shed
and exits the BEC entirely.

  2) if the heat energy is enough, the wave function is so discordant that the
atom gets ejected from the BEC before it can shed the photon.

  3) ?

  The more coherence between a set of waves, the stronger the coupling between
them; the more discordant, the weaker the coupling.

  -mark iverson