From: David Roberson

Actually the characteristic curves suggest that the input power acts like a
bias that stands behind the incremental behavior.  If that bias is quickly
removed then there should exist a point of operation that is located ahead of
the dangerous region.  Unless some strong memory exists, I can imagine that the
process would reverse as we all hope.

Dave,

Given what you say above – what about the possibility of a higher level of
control simply by use of pulsed power (at very low duty)?

For instance, if we know from prior experiment that 100 watts of DC will
eventually lead to large gain but at the risk of thermal runaway, and we also
know that quenching begins almost immediately with removal of power (unless the
system has already progressed to instability) – then it would seem that low
duty pulsing with the same net power will provide better control against a
runaway. (that is the premise but I have not data to back it).

In effect, as an alternative to 100 watts DC, it would be possible to design
and construct a pulsed power supply that will provide something like 2000 watt
pulses at 5% duty. The net power in is the same, but 95% of the time there is
no power. The frequency can be long but the idea is to alternate short sharp
pulses with long delays.

Is there any reason in your model to suggest that this approach is valid?

Jones