On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do not see Toyota in crisis because Prius spark plugs, brakes and
> mufflers last far longer than the ones in older cars did. (The brakes last
> for a long time because much of the stopping power is from regeneration.)

I have a Prius, and one of the coolest features of a car I didn't know
about before getting it is regenerative breaking.  You can put the car in
"B" mode, and it automatically slows down just a little without your having
to step on the break.  This is especially useful in city driving, where you
would otherwise need to break a lot because you're following someone else.
As an added bonus, it also happens to regenerate the battery.

Eric