On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

The concepts they discuss are interesting, but I find it extremely
> difficult to believe that neutrons are released freely at low energy.

Agreed.  Free neutrons are a huge problem if they were occurring.  They are
indiscriminate and will be captured by many isotopes, including ones that
will subsequently decay by way of various decay channels (i.e., free
neutrons will create radioactivity where before there was none).  This is
how neutron activation analysis works.  Also, as Ed Storms has pointed out,
not all free neutrons will be captured, and hence a good portion of them
will thermalize and reflect out of the apparatus, presenting a danger to
the researchers.

In 25 years of cold fusion research, neutrons, when they've been seen, have
been observed at levels many orders of magnitude weaker than can account
for the heat.  (And always few enough that they haven't presented a danger
to researchers or graduate students.)  The problem of free neutrons has
been one of several issues faced by Widom and Larsen.

Engineers like neutrons because they do away with the problem of the
Coulomb barrier.  (I include myself among the engineers.)  If there is
something happening with neutrons, an approach that uses tunnelling seems
fundamentally more sound, because it will result in daughters that are more
stable.

Eric