Hi,
[snip]
>The mercury might have built up through a series of reactions along the
>following lines:
>
>4He + 186W => 190Os - 1400 keV
>4He + 190Os => 194Pt - 1500 keV
>4He + 194Pt => 198Hg - 1400 keV
>
>Since these are all endothermic reactions, the only way for this to have
>happened would be if the alphas had sufficient energy, which they would have,
>according to the first set of reactions.

While theoretically possible, consider that, if you are lucky, 1 in 10000 alphas
would produce a nuclear reaction. 186W is only 28% of W. The amount of 190Os
produced would be completely swamped by the existing W atoms. The same story
goes for 194Pt, and even worse for 198Hg. In short I suspect you would be lucky
to produce even a single Hg atom by this method.

I think you need to look for a more direct route that doesn't rely on a chain of
rare events.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk