On the opposite, maybe not specifically in Italy, but results get more and
more reliable.
for ICCF15 ENEA reported results where success evolved from unreliable to
more than 60% success because of cristallography surface choice.

as I read the litterature of PdD, it seems more and more reliable for good
old electrolythic method.

what is changing however is the reduction of budgets.
first experiments were done in the 90s with short but noticeable budgets,
but then it became very hard to work., in the 2k period it seems budget is
the big problem.

for NiH maybe your notice apply and we must take the consequence.