Zell, Chris wrote:

[Pimentel's] 2003 study claims that Brazil dropped subsidies because ethanol
production was ineffective. Yet, ethanol has expanded there, along with ethanol exports doubling recently.

Yes. As I pointed out last month this industry is built on the backs of slave labor, child labor, terror and stealing productive cropland from peasants. In South America, where millions of people suffer from malnutrition, this industry converts food into fuel, and young people into a pile of broken bodies and corpses. Also they are ravaging the land and the ecology.

Apparently, they found ways to become more efficient. Ain't science wonderful?

No they do not. They just found a way to trade human lives for fuel.

Also strange? He's associated with Cornell , close to wine country - yet, the notion of increasing ethanol production efficiency by an "ice wine" technique In a New England climate doesn't occur to him. Hmmmm.........

Pimentel's co-authors are in California Iowa and elsewhere. His research was performed in the corn growing states. And as I pointed out, even the numbers quoted by industry flacks are dismal. This comment is petulant and sophomoric. You should read his papers carefully and then if you find a technical error, let us know.