Measuring magnetic susceptibility is what led to bosenovas.

>From upthread:

  It is hard to form a stable BEC of more than 100 atoms, and seeing what's
going on in condensates so small is very difficult. The recent discovery of
a particular mode in rubidium-85 called a 'Feshbach resonance' increased
the maximum condensate size to several tens of thousands of atoms -- but
only at just two billionths of a degree above absolute zero. "Damn cold by
anyone's standards," as Wieman says.

Nonetheless, the new technique gave researchers a tool rather like a pair
of *magnetic pliers* to manipulate the condensates. Their results have them
scratching their heads.

When compressed quickly enough, a condensate explodes, blasting off the
outer atoms and leaving a cold, collapsed remnant. The effect has been
dubbed a 'bosenova' because of its similarity to a supernova (an exploding
star).