Note that the magnetic field of the sun is coupled to that of each of the
planets.  However, evanescent magnetic field intensity falls as the cube of
the distance from the center, so the inner planets are coupled a lot less
than the outer planets.  As I mentioned before, the magnetic field of the
sun can affect that of the Earth and hence protect the Earth more or less
from cosmic ray flux; and the cosmic ray flux nucleates lower atmosphere
droplets to form clouds.

Interestingly the magnetic field polarity of the sun goes through massive
reversal every 11 years.  This would seem to heat the crap out of Mercury.
Some cycles it would seem that the magnetic field of the sun would add to
that of the Earth and the next cycle detract from the Earth's field.
Certainly this magnetic field dither would cause heating to some extent in
the Earth and could provide a stimulus for the "mixing up" and
"re-formation" of the Earth in its own magnetic field reversal.

It is not clear though how the magnetic field reversal of the sun every 11
years plays into the 10,000x longer period for the Earth's field reversal.
If the sun's own complete field reversal every 11 years doesn't trip the
Earth's field reversal, it is hard to see how a much smaller CME event
would stimulate a reversal at the Earth.