Hi Eric,

While the concept is interesting, consider that it won't deliver excess energy
unless the original isotope is already radioactive. If it is, then you may have
a way of shortening the half life. How are you contemplating going about it?
(Plenty of radioactive substances around that many people would be only to happy
to pay you to take away. ;)

>Hi,
>
>There are a few people (e.g., Robin) who may be able to comment on this
>possibility:
>
>I have wondered about the following possibility for fission under
>asymmetric electron screening:  Consider a moderate to heavy nucleus. In
>heavy nuclei, the balance between the Coulomb force and the residual
>nuclear force is a very delicate one. The sensitivity of this balance can
>be seen in the case of alpha emission in oblong deformed nuclei, where
>alpha particles are more likely to be emitted at the poles of the nucleus,
>where the Coulomb barrier is thinner, than at the waste. I propose that if
>you could get nontrivial asymmetric electron screening for any amount of
>time, e.g., a gradient of electron density in which the nucleus momentarily
>resides, the tidal forces caused by the differential balance of nuclear and
>Coulomb forces on either side of the nucleus would cause the it to become
>unstable and liable to fission.
>
>Not sure how plausible this idea is, but it's an interesting one to think
>about.
>
>Eric
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk