Hi,

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

I don't think there is a lot to be gained from finding an additional means
> of
> bringing about fission. We already have a quite effective way of doing
> that.

The things I like about the idea:

- The process would not involve neutrons.
- There might be the potential for fission in stable (in contrast to
radioactive) heavy isotopes, and so more fuel.
- Without knowing much about the feasibility of the process at this time,
if it proved to be really effective, you might be able to fission medium
mass isotopes, in contrast to heavy isotopes.  The daughters would lie
closer to the line of stability and hence be less radioactive or not
radioactive.

Eric