Hi Eric,

I don't think there is a lot to be gained from finding an additional means of
bringing about fission. We already have a quite effective way of doing that.
However it could be very useful as a means of remediating nuclear waste.
Perhaps it could be combined with NMR/MRI technology to distend the nucleus with
centrifugal force by spinning it, and an additional external electric field
gradient?

>Hi Robin,
>
>On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> While the concept is interesting, consider that it won't deliver excess
>> energy
>> unless the original isotope is already radioactive. If it is, then you may
>> have
>> a way of shortening the half life. How are you contemplating going about
>> it?
>> (Plenty of radioactive substances around that many people would be only to
>> happy
>> to pay you to take away. ;)
>>

>The hope was that if the idea had merit in the case of heavy nuclei that
>decay by spontaneous fission, it might also be applicable to heavy nuclei
>that are normally stable.  One thought about how to trigger the process: a
>strong magnetic field will shift the electron orbitals in a preferred
>direction; perhaps this will in turn set up a gradient of electron density
>along the preferred direction.
>
>Eric
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk