David L. Babcock <olb...@gmail.com> wrote:

I read the hole-in-water one. All BS, and stupid. To get a “head” the hole
> has to be not just empty when the seawater enters, it has to have a rigid
> shape. But when empty, and 100 feet deep, the upward pressure on the bottom
> will be 50 psi . . .

I believe you are envisioning something like a single structure. A gigantic
bathtub or ship hull. I do not think that is what this "hole in the ocean"
will be. It will resemble a dike in the Netherlands or New Orleans, below
sea level. Or like a earthen dam. No doubt some water will leak through the
walls but earthen dams work well and do not leak much.

Water is let into the structure in one place only, where the generator
turbines are located. This is like putting turbines in one part of a dam
and forcing all of the water to go through them.

There would be no "upward pressure" and no structure to push up. It is just
a large lake that happens be located in the ocean. If you were to go to an
island and dig a pond in the middle of it, digging until it goes below sea
level, you would have a similar structure. The walls and bottom of the pond
would be rocks and sand, not anything that can pop up.

You could build a similar structure next to a large lake (such as one of
the Great Lakes) or the Hudson River. It would be large hole that extends
well below the surface of the lake or river, located perhaps a kilometer
away from the lake.