While the Carnot efficiency certainly goes up with temperature, the
lifetime of the materials go down rapidly above about 500C.  Most
commercial high reliability systems operate at about 300C.  The Sterling
engine will have its share of material problems at 600C hot end, but is
going to be a non-starter with the hot end at 3000C.  Of course, he could
always insulate and take the heat out at 600C while taking the hit in
efficiency.

At 3000C, you will have substantial optical radiation - what happened to
Mills' plan to use PV conversion?  I always thought that the high energy PV
conversion he planned was much farther out than what he stated.