Jones,

I don't think the Letts-Cravens experiment is similar to Holmlid at all.
They used two calibrated wavelength lasers superimposed on the cathode.
They found that when the lasers were separated by a specific frequency
difference in the 10-20 THz range, there was a peaking in the XP.  For
there to be a frequency difference effect, there must be a nonlinearity -
likely a surface plasmon at the cathode surface - that allows the
difference frequency to form.  The difference frequency of 10-20 THz where
there was a peak in XP is VERY suggestive of phonon stimulation, something
compeletely different than Holmlid's experiment.