From: mix...@bigpond.com <mix...@bigpond.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12:34:22 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Thorium breeding now?

Hi Jones,
[snip]
>Robin,
>
>On first glance, one obvious thermodynamic  problem is steam – in that every
>fission fragment capable of knocking off a neutron is also able to boil off
>several hundred million molecules of heavy water in the process of
>thermalizing.

As you can see, from the second message I posted in this thread, this type of
reactor was in fact among the first reactors ever built. They do work.

Furthermore, I think steam production would probably be a negative feedback
mechanism which helps control the reactor. I.e. steam bubbles are less dense,
which reduces the amount of moderation available between nuclei, resulting in
faster neutrons with a lower fission cross-section. That means that steam
formation reduces the power generated and results in a self stabilizing reactor.

In fact they (google AHR), were known to be very easy to control, see the second
message I posted.
See also http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2012/ph241/tilghman2/

There were corrosion problems when uranyl sulphate was used, but these were
largely overcome when they switched to uranyl nitrate in a stainless-steal
vessel. I suspect that corrosion could be further reduced by lining the metal
parts with teflon.

However what I was really wondering is whether or not fission fragments can
contribute significantly to the neutron efficiency by splitting D nuclei, in a
heavy water base? I'm guessing they do, because the AHR is known for a high
neutron flux, which would appear to make it a reasonable choice for a thorium
based breeder.

> Consequently maintaining a liquid state with uniformly  dissolved salt
> becomes impossible even under high pressure.. A molten salt would be feasible
> but not a dissolved salt in the liquid state.
>

>? Please see http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Thorium_breeder_in_solution.html
>
>Regards, Robin van Spaandonk

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk