From: mix...@bigpond.com <mix...@bigpond.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 2:08:49 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Thorium breeding now?

+0000:
Hi Bob,

Some points.

1) The fuel is dissolved in the water, so initially there is no fuel in the
reactor until water is added, then criticality is achieved at startup by pulling
control rods somewhat once the water (and fuel) has been added.
At this point, the negative temperature coefficient is already in effect.

2) If all the water were to rapidly evaporate, and leave a solid salt
(impossible by the way), the reactor would long have shut down because only fast
neutrons with a too small fission cross section would remain (i.e. no
moderator).
If the water were all to leak out, then the fuel would go with it leaving an
empty reactor. Leakage should probably be caught in a flat tray with an area
large enough to ensure that only a thin layer could exist even with all the
water from the reactor in it. The large area thin layer would ensure that too
many neutrons would be lost to sustain a chain reaction in the pan. This is a
passive safety measure.
Furthermore anything leaking into the pan under normal use could be pumped back
into the reactor ensuring that it could keep running normally even with a leak.

3) Because fission products are constantly being removed during operation
(liquid fuel cycle), there would be few left to produce decay heat, so a
melt-down could not happen.

4) If all external systems fail at once, and there is no leak, then the water
boils off (pressure release valve) and the reactor shuts down (no moderator).

5) Another advantage of a liquid fuel reactor is that the total fuel load in the
reactor at any one time can be kept small, and fuel constantly added as
required. I.e. it doesn't need to have years worth of fuel in the reactor at all
times. This is another safety feature.

>Without water—lost in the steam production—the negative temperature coeff.  Is
>diminished or lost completely.

...but while this is happening the reaction stops (loss of moderator).

>The rate at which reactivity is added to the reactor is important in startup
>to avoid super criticality and an uncontrolled –run-away—reaction.  Any
>positive temperature coeff.  resulting in an increase in fast neutron flux is
>unacceptable and needs to be avoided.   Loss of liquid water would be a
>problem if it happened fast and added reactivity and loss of the negative
>temperature coeff.
>

>Bob Cook
[snip]
Regards,