https://logiclogiclogic.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/an-uncommon-man-and-the-surprising-nature-of-our-universe-roger-penrose-and-reality-part-3/

An Uncommon Man and the surprising nature of our universe, Roger Penrose
and reality Part 3

It seems like the 4D space is not new. Witten developed what has been
called the twistor-string mini-revolution. Twistor theory is CP^3 with the
isometry group SU(2,2). The projective twistor space CP^3 ~
SU(2,2)/SO(4,1)×U(1) with is isotopy group SO(4,1). This connects with the
Maldecena AdS/CFT and M-theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twistor_string_theory

It also seems like the 4th dimension is a complex number that describes the
spin of  a particle.

"Roger Penrose invented Spinors and Twistors (among many other things.) but
Spinors and Twistors were rarely used or discussed until recently.

It started to change in 2004 after Edward Witten discovered that Twistors
could be used in string theory instead of possibly the 11 dimensional
framework they had come up with could be reduced to the 5 dimensions of
Twistor space.   After that a series of breakthroughs in the use of
Twistors in other parts of physics sparked what has become known as “The
Twistor Revolution.”