From: Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2019 5:32 PM
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:How quantum mechanics works

What exactly are tachyonic fields?

Domino Valdano, PhD Theoretical Physics

In Einstein's theory of special relativity, the relationship between the
energy, momentum, and mass of a particle is E2=(pc)^2+(mc2)^2

It was realized early on that if you plug in a negative value for m2 into this
equation, you get a combination of momentum and energy that implies the
particle must always travel faster than light.  That is, v=pc2/E>c

While the equations are consistent, it was never clear whether such a particle,
which would have to have imaginary mass, could make sense or exist in the real
world.

In light of quantum field theory, now particles are thought of as excitations
of a quantum field near the minimum of its potential energy curve.  And there
are now a couple different definitions of mass.  One of the definitions of mass
(sometimes called the "bare mass") is the square root of the quadratic
coefficient of a quantum field in its potential energy.  In many cases, this
mass can be imaginary, and so it is sometimes called a "tachyonic mass".
However, in any known physical cases where this happens (the most famous case
being the Higgs boson), there is a change of coordinates one can do such that
in the new coordinates, the mass is real and the physical particle travels at
less than the speed of light.  The "physical mass" of a particle is the square
root of the quadratic coefficient of a field at the minimum of it's potential
energy curve, which is by definition always real.

If the mass-squared for some field like the Higgs is negative, what that means
is that you're looking at a maximum (unstable point) of the potential energy
curve rather than the minimum.  Excitations near the maximum are not actually
particles.  If there is a field which has only a maximum and no minimum, then
it is truly a tachyonic field (since there is no coordinate transformation you
can do to make the mass real).  This signifies that there is something wrong
with the theory because there is no ground state energy for the field--and
hence it cannot exist in the real world.  Some people like to say that a
tachyonic field represents an "instability of the vacuum".  I would go a step
further and say that it represents a field which has no vacuum (ground state).

In summary, tachyons do show up in theoretical physics sometimes, but because
physical particles must have a real (not an imaginary) physical mass, there are
no particles in the real world which can travel faster than light.

A tachyonic field is a field that produces and instability in the vacuum. The
Higgs field is the the primary component of the vacuum and it is like a large
pole that is finely balanced on the sharp point of  pin. A tachyonic field
produces an instability of the vacuum like a force that disturbs the finely
balanced pole that when perturbed  will cause that pole to fall to a minimum
energy state.

In his lecture on string theory and m-theory Lenny Susskind says that tachyons
don't really move faster than the speed of light, and only "crackpots" will
tell you that. Instead it has to do with that the vacuum is unstable, and that
this is the source of the tachyons. If you want to watch the whole thing you
can see it here:

He starts to talk about the tachyonic field somewhere about 46:00

https://youtu.be/gCyImLu0HSI?t=2766

In summary, what Holmlid has done is create a mechanism that recreates a
tachyonic field (a Higgs field) that produces an instability is the vacuum that
causes matter to become unstable. This mechanism is the fundamental basis
behind the transmutation process.

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 4:13 PM Axil Axil