N-rays were observed before WWI mostly by French scientists. They were
debunked by a visiting American physicist Wood. The case is often cited as
an example of "pathological science". It is an interesting story. This
analysis raises some moral questions about the manner in which they were
debunked :

The Theatre of the Blind: Starring a Promethean Prankster, a Phoney
Phenomenon, a Prism, a Pocket, and a Piece of Wood
*Article (PDF Available)* *in* Social Studies of Science
<https://www.researchgate.net/journal/0306-3127_Social_Studies_of_Science>
23(1):67-106 · February
1993 *with* 207 Reads
DOI: 10.1177/030631293023001003
Cite this publication
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249722214_The_Theatre_of_the_Blind_Starring_a_Promethean_Prankster_a_Phoney_Phenomenon_a_Prism_a_Pocket_and_a_Piece_of_Wood/citation/download>

   -
   Malcolm Ashmore <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Malcolm_Ashmore>
   - 19.27 <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Malcolm_Ashmore>
      - Loughborough Univer
      <https://www.researchgate.net/institution/Loughborough_University>sity

Abstract
One of the most notorious cases of full-blown scientific error is the
`non-existent' form of radiation known as `N-rays', discovered in the
spring of 1903 by the French physicist Blondlot. After a short but full and
interesting life, N-rays were killed off (so the story goes) in the autumn
of 1904 by the American physicist Wood, who, after visiting Blondlot's
laboratory in Nancy, published in Nature a damning report of what he found
(or didn't find). In this paper, I look at the way in which these events
have been represented in subsequent commentaries (including a later one of
Wood's), concentrating particularly on `the tale of the removal of the
prism'. I also examine the source of the effectiveness of Wood's `rhetoric
of undiscovery' which I claim lies in his construction and operation of a
`theatre of the blind', in which only we who were not there can see the
nothing that is there. Throughout the text, Wood's credibility as a
reporter is questioned in the interest of providing a symmetrically
sceptical account of Wood's scientific claims and status, as a counter to
the standard story.