Not too sure about women volunteering to grow their hair long to make
crosshairs for gunsights during WWII, though. I've never heard of that. Most
women had to cut their hair for safety as they were working in war production
plants. You know, the Veronica Lake problem. Human hair is too coarse for good
crosshairs.  How do I know about this?  My father was head of the instrument
repair division at Camp San Luis Obispo during WWII.  Among other things his
subordinates had to tend terrariums full of black widows to harvest the web for
crosshairs. Kind of a creepy job, no? Yeah, I know, far off-topic.
and dead wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Babnik_Brown