-0400:
Hi,
[snip]
>>They would need to have something in orbit wouldn't they?
>
>No. As I suggested, trace amounts of radioactive material migrate out
>via the instrument leads. See:
>
>http://www.slate.com/id/2151214/nav/tap2/

Even if small amounts of radioactive material did come out via the
instrument leads, or even through cracks in the ground, I still
fail to see how this could be detected in Hokkaido. The surface of
the Earth is curved, and the test site would be well below the
horizon, as seen from the University. Since gammas follow line of
sight, they would have to pass through hundreds of km of rock to
get there. In short, what were they expecting to see?
OTOH, gamma emitting radioactive materials that reached the
surface would easily be detected from orbit.
The USA must have been watching, they had plenty of warning.

On my third hand ;) , we only have reports on the news that any of
this happened at all. Perhaps the whole thing is a planted story
to make the North Koreans look bad?

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/