Michel Jullian wrote:

I suppose this would be much more likely in a contact arrangement, they don't say if their barrier tests were done by direct contact or with some air gap between the Pd sample and the barrier.

Other papers from BARC say there was an air gap, usually or always -- I am not sure. This was to eliminate the possibility that water or other chemicals caused the autoradiographs to darken. That is extremely unlikely, but they wanted to rule it out. They also ruled it out by placing one film behind another and observing the same pattern of radiation on both. You can read more about the experiments at BARC here:

http://lenr-canr.org/Collections/BARC.htm