-----Original Message-----
From: Horace Heffner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:51 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Mostly Wasted

On Dec 11, 2007, at 6:13 AM, Terry Blanton wrote:

> Not me.  The energy used to make electricity:
>
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec8_3.pdf
>
> Out of 40 quads consumed to make electricity, only 13 quads makes it
> to the end user.
>
> Terry

It seems like something might be done to reclaim some of that lost
heat. There may be some money to be made building bigger better
cooling towers and also reclaiming stack heat, both methods using
sterling engines to reclaim the heat.   It is interesting that
geothermal is about half as efficient as generator plants, which
might be expected due to the low grade heat coming from geothermal.

If waste power plant heat is about the same as geothermal,

        Waste power plant heat is much cooler than geothermal.  That is what
makes this heat low grade, and nearly worthless.

        Meticulous iterative calculations are done for each plant design to
optimize the performance of both the condenser and the cooling tower
based on the incremental costs of upsizing these expensive components
verses the projected fuel costs.  Getting these calculations right for  the
projected life of the plant is what gets the customers their    lowest
possible rates.

        That is what I did during my early engineering days, and we did it
with calculators, not computers.  Jeff

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:51 PM