Jed, the cure is simple. When you feel a cold coming on, take a hot sauna or hot-tub. The virus does not like the increased body temperature this produces. Afterwards, bundle up and stay warm. Do not take aspirin. Repeat several times while taking lots of fluids to wash the reaction products out of the body. Large doses of vitamin C also help. If the virus is still in the nasal passages, breathing steam helps kill them.

Ed

Jed Rothwell wrote:

I am stricken with a stuffy nose and post-nasal drip. This happens to me a lot.

In lieu of sleeping, I got to thinking about we might treat the common cold, in the distant future. What would be the ideal treatment, given what we now know? Let us assume we do not discover some panacea that wipes out all rhinoviruses.

Nowadays, you wake up feeling kind of stuffy, with a slight cough and an irritated throat. What next? What I do is pretend there is nothing wrong for a day, and then I resort to saline solutions to irrigate the sinuses (which are dry) and decongestants. As far as I can tell, this does nothing to cure the problem but it alleviates the symptoms. As they say, with the best treatment you can cure a cold in about 7 days, whereas if you leave it alone it gets better in a week.

In the distant future . . . You wake up feeling kind of stuffy, not even at the irritation phase, but you take no chances. You call in the robot nurse-practitioner. No visits to the doctor or drug store where you might infect someone else. No waiting. The robot arrives in an self-driving automobile/mobile lab 15-minutes later.

The robot comes into your house, checks your vital signs, and takes a swab from your nose. It puts the sample in a DNA analysis machine and determines that you do have a cold. It genotypes the virus, reports back to the CDC main computer, and downloads instructions and cautions. If it is a dangerous virus or an unknown, unrecognizable type, it calls an ambulance which takes you to a human doctor. That hardly ever happens.

What usually happens is the robot selects a vaccine targeting the particular strain of virus you are infected with. Or, perhaps, in the more distant future, it does on-the-spot recombinant splicing and gins up exactly what you need. It give you a shot (or topical swab, or whatever works). It gives you a 1-day supply of decongestant pills, 2 liters of orange juice, and it suggest you get some bed rest. (Or in a more authoritarian society, it orders you not to go out of the house or infect anyone else, and assigns a small watchdog robot to record who you come in contact with.)

You take it easy, wake up the next morning, and cold is gone.

Treatment like this might be available today -- I wouldn't know. But I expect this would cost thousands of dollars and probably days of effort to identify the virus, with human-labor intense methods. By the time you did this, the cold will get better on its own. In the scenario I envision the whole job is done in 15 minutes by a robot, and it costs effectively nothing.