TIME Magazine's latest issue, April 7, 2008, has a great front cover
article titled "The Clean Energy Myth". It's nice to many of the
comments that have been bandied about in this forum finally hit the
mainstream.

One aspect of the debacle, one that I must confess that I was not as
aware as I should have been, was the amount of carbon displacement
going on as a direct result of corporations and farmers attempting to
cash in on the bio AE market and the horrendous damage it is
generating. Their occasionally well-intentioned efforts to produce
energy crops are ironically making things worse, much worse for the
environment. For one thing, the amount of virgin forests being cut
down to make way for cash energy crops is apparently releasing huge
amounts of excess carbon as forests are slashed and burned,
particularly in Brazil. Ironically, the article states that producing
sugar cane is may very well be a good idea (certainly the lesser of
other evils), however most farmers prefer to plant other so-called
energy crops, particularly soybeans. They do so because they expect to
make a lot more money selling the soybeans as an energy feed-stock as
compared to sugarcane.

And, of course, certain bio-energy crops particularly corn tend to
consume more energy than they produce in the form of ethanol.

The emerging energy global market is becoming totally f__ked up as
priorities and economic incentives are being misplaced driving food
prices through the roof, and its going to get worse.

Even more now than ever do we need a shot in the arm, such as more
breakthroughs in solar, wind, CF, BLP, as well as other more exotic AE
arenas. The sooner the better.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.orionWorks.com'