> Howdy Jones,
> One may speculate on an account of the  "dead sea" event recorded in
> Gen 19.
> The description of the destruction of Sodom could be interpreted as
> an
> atomic explosion.. however, the wife, while looking back, became a
> "pillar
> of salt". hmmm. According to Abraham's eyewitness account from his
> view some
> distance in the hill country, a smoke cloud covered the valley.. An
> earlier
> account recorded of Abraham and Lot parting of the ways described
> the area
> east as a fertile plain. This dead sea area today is anything but a
> fertile
> plain. Below sealevel could indicate a sudden collapse indicating an
> immense. earthquake.
> For sure.. sum'tin very strange happened there. Something that left
> an
> unexplainable land change that refuses to follow the rules of
> geology.. much
> less chemistry.
> One  may also  engage in pure conjecture while reading about
> "Solomon's lost
> mines". Supposedly ,they were located in Opher.. whereever that was.
> However, since the gold was real and enough to gold plate the
> temple, it
> sure had to come from somewhere..... so why not from the dead sea..
> hmmm.
> Transmutation???.  Not so unbelievable as reports outa Ole Calif
> during the
> Sutter's mill gold rush where some suggested the gold nuggets formed
> from "
> bacteria" in the mountain streams since no mother lode was ever
> found
> upstream.
>  Never to be outdone by a really good story.. now the Russians are
> investigating creating exotic metals using bio-nuclear transmutation
> theory
> Shades of  chicken little and the sky falling.. what will they
> comeup with
> next... speaking of chickens.. anyone want to hazard a guess as to
> why a
> chicken can lay an egg ( calcium shell ),.. even IF.. their food
> intake has
> NO calcium content??
> Richard

Quote from:

http://www.matthnelson.com/nuclear_holocaust_BC.html

"The traditional and literal translation of the Hebrew term Netsiv melah has
been 'pillar of salt,' and tracts have been written in the
Middle Ages explaining the process whereby a person could turn into crystalline
salt. However, if - as we believe - the mother
tongue of Abraham and Lot was Sumerian, and the event was first recorded not in
a Semitic language but in Sumerian, an
entirely different and more plausible understanding of the fate of Lot's wife
becomes possible.
  "In a paper presented to the American Oriental Society in 1918 and in a
followup article in Beitrage zur Assyriologie, Paul Haupt
had shown conclusively that because the early sources of salt in Sumer were
swamps near the Persian Gulf, the Sumerian term
NIMUR branched off to mean both salt and vapor. Because the Dead Sea has been
called, in Hebrew, The Salt Sea, the biblical
Hebrew narrator probably misinterpreted the Sumerian term and wrote 'pillar of
salt' when in fact Lot's wife became a 'pillar of
vapor.'"

Mark Jordan