Maybe, but, for as long as I can remember (which depends on the
weather =), standards have always been different for California.
Indeed, certain items are different for "Calcars" and must be so
maintained, eg the Toyota Echo required iridium tipped spark plugs to
meet CA standards.  These cost $15 each.  Standard $3 plugs were fine
elsewhere.

The car makers will only make two cars:  Calcars and everywhere else,
assuming CA has the most restrictive standards.

Terry