Mike Carrell wrote:

> So long as hydrocarbons are the ultimate fuel, whether in an automobile or
> in a utility power plant, [weight x miles driven] will produce CO2 and other
> oxides.

Yes, but much less fuel per passenger mile, and less CO2, because electric
cars are much more efficient that gasoline-only cars, or hybrids.

> Utilities love electric cars because they utilize unused capacity at night,
> but they still burn fuel.

Some do. Other fission uranium, or run water through turbines, or wind
through wind turbines. Electricity comes from many sources other than
burning hydrocarbons. Furthermore, it would be easier, faster and cheaper
for us to build many more wind turbines and solar thermal generators than it
would be to develop other sources of liquid fuel for cars, or cars that get
100 mpg from gasoline alone (not hybrids). Building more nukes would not be
cheaper, but it is the only alternative for large parts of the country, such
as Georgia.

Of course we all recognize that BLP or cold fusion would be better by far
than conventional alternatives such as wind or nukes.