--- Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Late model gas furnaces are better than 85%
> efficient, but of course
> they do not generate electricity!

Oil burners are up to 85% these days, some even
better. I think some SlantFin furnaces are a bit
higher. Nevertheless, I loathe oil heat. For one, it
is not the best for efficiency if something is just
/slightly/ out of adjustment, for another, the diesel
stink of No. 2 oil is impossible to wash off with one
or two showers. Bleah!

Now, here's something to ponder: can we replace No. 2
oil with biofuel derived product? Such as algoil? That
won't solve the whole energy problem, but just taking
the raw heat production used by the northern states
out of the equation (and thus having net zero CO2
emissions) should be a step in the right direction.
No?

> The HVAC installer told me that with the highest
> efficiency model,
> they could abandon the chimney in my house (which is
> a ~2" pipe) and
> have it vent at ground level. He said only thing
> that comes out is
> water vapor and CO2, no CO, and it is at moderate
> temperature, so
> there is no danger.

This is true. However, caveat emptor: just because it
will emit no CO at factory adjustment and when
perfectly clean doesn't mean it won't if it gets out
of adjustment, or gets dirty. Cat hair, dandruf,
spiders, etc. can clog the thing. Dust will
accumulate. Now, this is not to say ventless is not
good...it is. And has great advantages in regions
where it gets dry during the winter (aka, here). The
added water vapor in the air does the job of a
humidifier, and costs no electricity. But, always keep
a CO detector near it, just in case. I personally have
a ventless furnace, and love it.

> He said that to recover more
> heat, they inject a
> lot of water into the combustion product. Not sure
> at which stage.

Some do this, some do not. Even without, the
efficiency is very high. Well over 90%.

> I decided to go with a less efficient model that
> still needs the
> chimney, because I got a heat pump and the gas
> furnace is only used
> occasionally in cold weather. I think it kicks in
> below 40 deg F.

40F is cold? Er... nevermind, I'm getting used to
Buffalo. :)

--Kyle