Kyle Mcallister wrote:

This is true. However, caveat emptor: just because it
> will emit no CO at factory adjustment and when
> perfectly clean doesn't mean it won't if it gets out
> of adjustment, or gets dirty. Cat hair, dandruf,
> spiders, etc. can clog the thing. Dust will
> accumulate. Now, this is not to say ventless is not
> good...it is. And has great advantages in regions
> where it gets dry during the winter (aka, here). The
> added water vapor in the air does the job of a
> humidifier, and costs no electricity.

Ah. This installation is under the house in the crawlspace so he was going
to put a pipe to vent out the wall and turn it maybe 6 feet up. A short new
chimney. I do not know if this particular unit is designed to be ventless
indoors.

I was a little concerned that it might asphyxiate someone standing next to
the house, but he said there is no danger. I gather they put the pipe up in
the air anyway. The pipe does not have be heavy or insulated.

The present chimney goes up to the roof.

>I think it kicks in
> > below 40 deg F.
>
> 40F is cold? Er... nevermind, I'm getting used to
> Buffalo. :)

Which is why heat pumps don't work in Buffalo.