> [snip]
> I thought it *was* detected by someone paid to do
> exactly that?

Not paid very much it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siding_Spring_Survey

And someone else tracked it after the discovery by way
of funding provided by The Planetary Society.

This is not the scale of skywatch program we need. If
people can scream about CO2 emissions, they damn sure
ought to get a bit scared when a rock is discovered
only 1.5 million miles away, heading basically right
for us. What could we do in less than a week? With
more advance notice, we might be able to do something.

My guess is, asteroid defense doesn't make a ton of
money for the select group, nor does it allow some
people to control others. But all that aside, it is
unquestionably important to do something about this.
Rendezvous with Rama by the late Sir Arthur C. Clarke
comes to mind. No, not suggesting that this was an
alien spacecraft :) Just that the asteroid detection
program was interesting.

If during this financial mess we can monitor volcanoes
(which we can do NOTHING about), we can watch the
skies a little better. Ironic that moving a rock up
there is much easier than stopping a volcano from
erupting and possibly letting someone or some turbofan
breathe in a bit of dust. On that note, it seems that
birds and rubber boots have more dangerous effects on
aircraft than some dust.

I'd actually like Rick Monteverde's opinion on this as
well...seeing as he is both near volcanoes, and near
some of our best observatories. Rick?

--Kyle