Kyle Mcallister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Okay, as per Horace's suggestion, made a crude
> spherical (er...kind of spherical) terminal out of two
> mixing bowls. Didn't go to WalMart, as that place
> frightens me, so I got them from Kmart. Duct taped
> them together at the seams, so as to make a crude
> corona seal. It works very well, actually. Fed by the
> HV terminal (negative WRT ground in this supply), it
> charges up with little leakage. Will jump a 2-3" gap
> to a flat metal plate. Sparks are intense, almost pure
> white with tinges of blue. Very loud, like a .22cal
> firing.
>
> !!! This power supply is not a toy !!!
>
> Power supply is a 6 stage (or 3 depending on how you
> look at it) full-wave Cockroft-Walton multiplier.
> Input is 10kV 23mA from a 'liberated' oil burner
> ignition transformer. Capacitors are .009uF each.
> Ground (0V) is to the center tap of the HV winding of
> the transformer, common to the center input of the
> multiplier stack, common to house ground,

I'm curious -- why is common grounded?  Seems like a hand placed too
near it would reward you with holes blown through the soles of your
shoes as a result, no?

Wouldn't it be safer to let the hot parts of the rig float?

NB -- If the answer to this is, "Because that's how the experiment
works, stupid -- didn't you read the paper?" then I confess in advance
that, no, I don't think I did, and I'm not even sure where this is
written up.  A link would be appreciated (and I realize the info is
surely already in the Vortex archives but, well, another post of a link
would still be appreciated).