--- "Stephen A. Lawrence" <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm curious -- why is common grounded?  Seems like a
> hand placed too
> near it would reward you with holes blown through
> the soles of your
> shoes as a result, no?
>
> Wouldn't it be safer to let the hot parts of the rig
> float?

A few reasons why common is grounded:

1. The case of the transformer is hardwired internally
(inside the potting mixture) to the transformer's
case. Given the proximity of the 120VAC winding, the
core, and the case-connected centertap of the HV
winding, it is easier on the transformer to have
things not wandering around.
2. Safe? Forgot what that word means. :)
3. It firmly establishes the sphere as 'definitely
negative' and everything else around it as 'definitely
not so negative'. That might be important.

Hmmm. Now this might be interesting to try. Make the
sphere negative, ground common, and break out the
sister power supply producing +HV. Make the target
plate positive, ground the common of that multiplier.
Double your pleasure, double your fun?

> written up.  A link would be appreciated (and I
> realize the info is
> surely already in the Vortex archives but, well,
> another post of a link
> would still be appreciated).

http://amasci.com/freenrg/morton1.html
http://amasci.com/freenrg/mort2.txt

You have to wade through some tenuous 'stuff' to get
to what the 'effect' is supposed to be. I'm not
investigating Morton's other claims, just the basic
one. I try to pick up the most interesting bag, and
leave the rest of the matched(?) luggage for another
day.

Same way with the 'amplified capacitor' circuits of
Greg Hodowanec. Leave Mars out of it for now, just try
and see what my 'scope can tell me.

--Kyle