On Mar 14, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Edmund Storms wrote:

On Mar 13, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

ARRGH!  How can everything in this field be so *vague* !?

If I read the messages from Jed and Dr. Storms correctly, it's not known
at this time whether P&F used pure palladium, or used a Pd/Ag alloy.
That doesn't seem like a trivial difference!

The fact is that F-P used both pure Pd and the Pd-Ag alloy. However,they did not say and frequently did not know how the Pd they used was made. They made a deal with Johnson and Matthey to supply the Pd for free and J-M decided what to send for testing. Apparently, J-M knows what kind of Pd works best, but attempts to get this information made public have
failed.

It is interesting to note that, if J-M knows what kind works best, then
they also know that there are differences which result solely from the
choice of palladium, and therefore they also know with dead certainty
that cold fusion is for real.

If the effect weren't real it wouldn't matter what kind of palladium you
used.

Good point and this is probably why they are unwilling to give away the information. I expect they are waiting until the effect is accepted and people are interested in buying the active material, or they are just stupid because by then people will know how to make their own active Pd.

Later workers used Pd from various sources and found that some
batches worked better than others, but did not have the resources to
test all of the properties that might be relevant. Later still, the role
of cracking and the role of surface deposits  became known.  Until
recently, no one had the resources to make tests that could identify the critical parameters. Therefore, the information simply is not known. We know now that the Pd needs have a characteristic that allows a high D/Pd ratio. This is not easy to accomplish although Italian workers have now
mastered the trick. The Pd-Ag alloy cannot achieve such a high ratio
and, therefore, should not work.

Peachy.

This sounds kind of like the occasional light-water positive CF result
which seem to throw monkeywrenches into the works of just about any
theory of how it all works, eh?

The explanation for why Pd-Ag works involves the assumption that the effect only occurs in the near surface region, the properties of which are much different from the bulk material because of reaction with Li and other impurities in the electrolyte. Pd-Ag alloy allows a higher surface composition to be achieved because the diffusion rate from the surface is slower than in pure Pd. Pure Pd has to have a structure that allows a high bulk composition to reduce the loss from the surface in order to achieve the same high D/Pd ratio on the surface. Anyway, this is my explanation, which shows the complexity of trying to reproduce the effect.

Ed

To further complicate the problem, Pd
electroplated on various substrates is also found to work sometimes for no apparat reason. The problem is not public documentation but simple
ignorance about what characteristics are required.  People are not
hiding this information, they just do not know what is required.

Ed

It's as though Dr. Jekyll not only couldn't get a working batch of the reagent that would change him back from being Hyde, but he'd forgotten what the compound was that he ordered the one time he got a batch that
did work.

It does seem like Jed's right -- the level of public documentation here
is lacking.

It *ought* to be possible to just pull paper number 12321-PF from the Lenr-Canr archives and see for sure what was used. But, apparently it's
not that easy.

Jed Rothwell wrote:
Edmund Storms wrote:

Thanks for this detail Jed, but no where do I see mentioned that this
material is a Pd-Ag alloy.

That is my recollection of what he told me.

This document says "Fleischmann reported success with pure palladium, as
well as silver and cerium alloys."

As I recall he said "Type A" is the silver alloy used in filters. We could ask J-M if they ever used pure Pd in filters. I doubt they did.

My guess is that the modern reformulated filter palladium would work just as well as the old stuff. My guess is that the reason it works is prosaic: it loads to high levels easily and it does not crack. Those are well known necessary characteristics to achieve cold fusion. Why they
are necessary I do not know, but they are.

I see that I managed to misspell his name in this document. Good grief!