Edmund Storms wrote:

> They made a deal with Johnson and Matthey to supply the Pd for free and J-M
> decided what to send for testing.

Plus, when F&P were at Toyota, the deal was that they sent the used cathodes
back to J-M without testing them. J-M did their own in-house analysis. J-M
and Toyota failed to reach an agreement about how the information should be
shared.

> Apparently, J-M knows what kind of Pd works best, but attempts to get this
> information made public have failed.

Right. I have heard this from well-informed people . Not only do they know,
but they have known all along (because the same characteristics are ideal
for filters, as I said). Long before work began on cold fusion they knew how
to make the ideal material. The Italians and many others have spent the last
20 years trying to figure out what people at J-M have known since the 1930s.
I find this extremely frustrating, to say the least.

> Until recently, no one had the resources to make tests that could identify
> the critical parameters. Therefore, the information simply is not known.

Not known outside of J-M, that is.

> People are not hiding this information, they just do not know what is
> required.

Well, J-M is hiding this information. Other organizations such as Toyota are
hiding critical experimental data. I am not hiding any information about
cold fusion, but I do have to limit my remarks and not say who told me about
the disagreements between J-M and Toyota, and the fact that various
companies have experimental data that I would love to upload.

I am certain that the people at J-M know cold fusion is real. Either that or
they are insane. At least I can say with certainty that some of the people
at J-M I have spoken with know this as well as I do.

I cannot imagine why they have not pursued this technology. I cannot think
of any reason why they would hesitate. But large corporations often do pass
up fabulous opportunities for reasons that later seem absurd. IBM, HP and
others built capable little computers in the 1970s, at about the time Apple
computer was formed and before Tandy (Radio Shack) began selling computers.
I saw the IBM machine around 1978, on display in the old Atlanta airport, of
all places. It might have been this one, the 5110:

http://www.old-computers.com/history/detail.asp?n=9&t=3

(Anyway, there were several machines similar to that from large companies in
those days.)

Of course the opportunity that J-M may be passing up is several orders of
magnitude larger than the personal computer market! If they had developed
cold fusion over the last 20 years and applied their metallurgical expertise
to Ti, Ni and other common materials, they might have become the wealthiest
corporation on earth by now, and by far the most profitable.

Stephen A. Lawrence's comment about "the level of public documentation here
is lacking" is on the mark. It gets worse. Not only is public documentation
lacking, but a great deal of information that has been widely disseminated
is flat-out wrong, or pure nonsense. Especially in places such as Wikipedia.
Widespread confusion is the norm in newly emerging fields of science.
Unfortunately, cold fusion is still emerging.

Mallove gave a perfect example of this confusion in his book. Segre
described the work of Hahn and Meitner as follows: "Their early papers are a
mixture of error and truth as complicated as the mixture of fission products
resulting from the bombardments. Such confusion was to remain for long time
a characteristic of much of the work on uranium."