We recently constructed the first "cat optical trap," a longwave
incoherent 1-D version of the laser cooled adiabatic ion trap.

Obtain a long spring-arm desklamp, lift it 10" high and aim its emitter
downwards, and place a bath towel just below it (cellulose preferred over
artificial fibers, aged fabric required.)  Apply power, and after a brief
delay the space between the incoherent source and the cellulose absorber
will fill with large purring entities extracted from the Dirac background.
Remove power, and their number decays far more slowly than the time-
constant associated with their appearance, perhaps giving evidence of a
short-range attraction force.  On successive operations the time constant
of population growth diminishes to a limit: a strange form of hysteresis.

Chaotic feline trajectories are observed in multi-particle populations in
the trap, analogous to those of ion crystals during optical trapping in
vacuum conditions.  We see evidence that our trap was accidentally
optimized for 720T and 1G acceleration field, but further testing has yet
to be performed.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci