At 11:20 AM 9/3/2009, you wrote:
Jed spoke of this on the list.  He has been falsely accused of
printing articles without the author's permission.

I'll give some detail on that. It's a little more complicated.

The basic reason for blacklisting of the site was that it was "fringe advocacy," and the blacklisting administrator was involved with the article, and should never have been the one to make that decision, as the Arbitration Committee later confirmed. However, also added to that were a series of claims, allegations that:

1. The site hosts copyright violations. "Author permission," which Jed *always* has, isn't enough, legally, though it might protect against lawsuits, i.e., host with author permission, you might be asked by a publisher to take it down, and you'd be in hot water if you didn't, but if you did, it would be very difficult to prove willful copyright violation. However, Wikipedia policy does not require that a linked site have no copyright violations, it only prohibits a site that has "massive" violations, perhaps where the purpose of the site is to bypass copyright, such that linking to it could be considered contributory infringement. More on this below.

2. The site alters documents. This was a phony charge by JzG that Jed had edited the 1989 DoE report. In fact, he had simply prepended an editorial comment, which republishers of historical material often do. He had not altered the actual body of the report, and his comment was clearly distinguished. Wikipedia *prefers* that copies of documents altered like that not contain possibly prejudicial comments, but this would not, in itself, prevent a linke.

3. Jed had "linkspammed" his site. That was highly misleading, but easily "confirmed," because Jed was always signing his IP contributions with "Jed Rothwell, librarian, lenr-canr.org." That wasn't linkspam because it wasn't a link, and real-world titles are allowed in signatures. But someone looking at a diff of an edit, which is raw wikitext, might overlook that, and apparently did, because the evidence of linkspam presented was not noticed to be misleading by the administrator who eventually made the decision at the global blacklist at meta (a separate site where that list, and other issues that affect all WikiMedia Foundation sites, are considered).

4. Even though the Arb Committee ruled that "fringe" should not be used for blacklising, that the purpose of the blacklist wasn't to make content decisions, where a single administrator or a small handful of them would be making site-wide content decisions, obviously dangerous, but only for preventing linkspam and a few other obvious uses, like preventing links to sites hosting malware, or other illegal content (including extensive copyright violation).

So the current situation is that, while it was originally blacklisted at en.wikipedia, when I challenged that, JzG went to meta, where he was well-known and trusted, and requested blacklisting there, and it was immediately accepted. I requested delisting, and ultimately that was denied. I've seen many such requests denied, when sites were very useful, because there is an administrative cabal of sorts that runs the blacklists, and they are very reluctant to undo blacklistings. I was able to get sites whitelisted on en.wikipedia, such as lyrikline.org, where the blacklisting was blatantly bad, but even administrators from de.wikipedia were unable to get lyrikline.org delisted, an obviously useful site that was never abused, the only problem being that an enthusiastic de.wikipedia began massively adding links, which technically is linkspam *even if the links are legitimate.* Once it's listed, they will say that they need to keep it listed because "maybe the spam will start up again." And they are impervious to argument, most of the time.

There is a path for lenr-canr.org: continue to whitelist pages; so far, I'd been successful with every one, only one exception, where lenr-canr.org has an actual copy of an Elsevier paper, with the Elsevier logo. The paper is by a major author (Spzak?) who gave Jed permission, and Jed is at no legal risk because of that, and Elsevier apparently doesn't really care, but I doubt they'd want to open the door, and they can always change their minds and ask for the paper to be taken down. But this, then, creates a prima facie violation of Wikipedia link policy, but just for that paper. Everything else was accepted, in spite of determined efforts by Cab editors to keep the links out.

Most of them remain unused however, because I was banned before completing the task. (They are "convenience links" to peer-reviewed papers, almost entirely). When more pages were whitelisted, I'd have gone to meta and proven, with the links, that the site was useful, I'd have challenged any attempt to reassert the old canards by pointing to the article on Martin Fleischmann, where I ran an excruciatingly careful process that established consensus that pages from lenr-canr.org could be used, with all those spurious arguments being challenged and rejected as false or irrelevant.

However, do not go to the whitelisting page and request whitelisting, unless you have an established account with some history of general edits. You are likely to be wasting your time, they get tons of requests from spammers and they will easily think you are one. You might even be blocked, I've seen it happen.

Jed had been telling me that Wikipedia was a waste of time, it was useless and wouldn't change. I had to find out for myself, that's how I work; I could see what he was saying, but also saw possibilities for how to work beyond the current situation, and I still think that, but it's also clear to me that the current situation is worse than I thought. I'd seen a shift in the Arbitration Committee, and that shift was real, but it hasn't gone far enough. The Committee majority is still caught in the old and misguided wiki battles, still imagining that it can find consensus -- which is the basis for judging neutrality, the only one that works -- with bans for pushing points of view. The truth is the opposite. That energy needs to be harnessed and channeled into consensus process that is both thorough and efficient. It's known how to do it, but it was Not Invented Here.