At 06:46 PM 10/29/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

So finding no radiation or other products, by MIT, as a huge example, meant practically nothing. All they showed, in fact, was that they did not manage to cause the effect.

On the contrary I think they probably did cause the effect at MIT, and also CalTech and Harwell. The heat signature is pretty clear. See Mallove and Miles on that. (You are probably aware of this dispute, but some readers may not be.)

Sure, they caused an effect, but not what they were looking for, something much smaller. That's why they overlooked it (hey, Jed, I give people the benefit of the doubt) or swept it under the carpet, who wants to look at this messy baseline anyway?

They did not detect neutrons, but people seldom do detect them, after all. Whether that is because the neutrons are too slow or too fast or because neutron detectors are insensitive I do not know. The detectors I know about and have actually looked and discussed in labs are very insensitive, as I mentioned. BF3 and simulation counters capture only a tiny fraction of the total neutrons. And who knows whether the neutrons are distributed evenly in a sphere around the cathode? That has not been established as far as I know. No neutron detector envelops the whole cell as far as I know. A calorimeter does!

I strongly suspect that the neutron radiation, like the alpha, is in all directions, rather evenly. It's path effects (i.e., short path) that cause the detected alphas to mostly be aligned with a straight line between the cathode and the detector (i.e., as with CR-39). Because of the penetrating nature of neutron radiation, I'd expect the neutron record on a detector to be proportional to the solid angle the detector takes up with respect to the active area.

Storms and some others consider the MIT results so close to the noise they may be meaningless, but Miles thinks there was excess heat in that experiment. No one I know disputes that Caltech produced a clear signal of excess heat. It showed up as ~1°C, which is huge. The people there thought the calibration constant was inconstant, but that makes no sense.

Neither does low energy nuclear reactions.

My eight-year old daughter understood that immediately. If it's true that Earthtech did not create NAE, I'd really want to know why, because what they did was *close* to the Galileo protocol.

You could spend the next several years tying to learn why, possibly without success. One problem with Earthtech in my opinion is that they do not seem to spent years in a concerted effort to do one experiment. I have never heard of anyone who succeeded in cold fusion starting from scratch without devoting two or three years of intensive effort to the job. Several people managed to replicate early on, within a few months, such as Mizuno and McKubre, but most of them were already experts in making hydrides and deuterides. A few were skilled and they also got lucky, especially at BARC.

Understand that I'm starting with a fairly closely defined protocol, not vague hints, and not with all the problems of solid palladium and very long loading times. I think I'm likely to see effects first time. But ... you never know till you try.