> No, no, all I meant is that since there doesn't seem to exist such a
> thing as free will in physical systems --fortunately for physicists!--
> there is no problem. Unless we humans are not bound by the rules
> obeyed by the rest of the universe, which remains to be proved.

Oh well. Let's put it the other way around: what remains to be proved is
that the Universe is completely governed by the rules of physical systems.
If the Universe is an organism, all our actual suppositions regarding its
essential physical nature would be wrong, or incomplete.

When I raise my hand, by example, you can express that movement precisely
with the aid of the physical laws. But that does not mean my hand is only
a physical system, because my hand is connected to my body through the
limbs, and my whole organism would be unable to exist in isolation.
Now you should be able to extrapolate that to a planetary body, by example.

The fact that the actual science of Physics does not contemplate or
embodies these possibilities, tell more about the actual status of the
physical sciences, than about the underlying nature of the Universe.

Particularly, the ideas regarding the ultimate physico-mechanical reality
of the Universe were challenged, I would say definitely, by Gödel's
incompleteness theorem, which showed that mathematics(formal systems) are
not complete and consistent at the same time, that is, that truth is not
at the same level or category than that of comprobability or
deductibility.

In recent (and not so recent) times, our gradual comprehension that the
physical laws are in the end no more than approximations of the real
phenomena, and that they are in a very real sense unable to grasp the
ultimate behaviour of physical systems, due to, by example, the problem of
imponderable quantities, are confirming, more than denying, this line of
thought.

Mathematics and physics are fundamentally unable to grasp ultimate
physical reality. Think about that. It's not only a practical limitation,
related by example to the accuracy of the measurements. It is an essential
one.

And man, with all its complexity, including free will, is a product of the
Universe, that is, he does not exist in isolation. So, the Universe is at
least as complex and subtle as one of its creatures. And probably more.

Best regards,
Mauro