Mark, Horace

In the original context of that posting, the problem is this. When Pd
adsorbs a neutron and becomes activated, Pd (n,a) there should be a
detectable secondary gamma.

BTW - this process would typically leave ruthenium, which is often seen in
transmuted electrodes. In fact, years ago Passell found gammas, of an energy
from the known ruthenium isotope emission spectrum, but that is one of those
papers that was never replicated.

Usually gammas are nearly absent in LENR, certainly less than the excess
heat would indicate. That is why the suggestion was made that the UCN might
not "act like a neutron" in the sense that even though the kinetic energy
(which the UCN lacks) is small, in comparison to a typical ~1 MeV gamma,
this could simply be an indication that it falls short of some unknown
threshold, which still allows alpha emission, but at lower kinetic energy.

Of course, in the sense of the virtual neutron, quasi-neutron, hydrex or so
on, of the older theories - where the activating particle is stated as "not
a real neutron" there is less of a problem ...

...except in lack of documentation ;-)

Jones