At 03:54 PM 4/2/2010, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Such considerations do not appeal to the minds of people who believe in conspiracy theories. They are immune to rationality.

But be careful. There might be a real conspiracy, sometimes, or something that has the same effect, i.e., collective suppressive behavior that is as damaging, maybe more damaging, than collusion in improper suppression.

With a genuine conspiracy, the conspirators know what they are doing. But there was suppression of cold fusion research and ideas, for sure, and sometimes it was conscious, but not conscious as "we don't care if this is bad," but conscious in that the suppressors communicated with each other and encouraged each other, and applied collective pressure to make sure that this "garbage" didn't get strewn about.

A collective "natural" conspiracy, then, will present the same results and appearance as a concious, evil plot, except that the methods might be more restrained. A conscious evil plot would not stop at things like murder, if they believed it would benefit their cause. The natural conspiracy *probably* would, as the norm. Sometimes individuals will believe that their cause is so important that, well, what's a few lives, when if we allow this insanity to propagate, many more lives will be lost. This happens more with things like abortion or a belief that the government is out to destroy everything we hold dear and create a fascist or collectivist state.

Lest we forget, the ends do not justify the means, because, in the end, all that is real is the means.

I noticed that in the physorg blog -- discussion at which was hijacked by some physics fanatics, over stuff that had nothing to do with cold fusion, and, obviously, nobody is monitoring that for relevance -- several skeptics focused on the idea that people like me were screaming "conspiracy," because I pointed to the very real suppression of research, and sourced it to Simon. They were impervious to evidence. Pseudoskeptics, using the "conspiracy theorists" label as ad-hominem argument, avoiding the substance.

Who cares about substance, isn't it about winning debates?

So new?

If I use a defective argument to make my position on something appear solid, please bust me. Or at least try to!