At 08:16 PM 6/7/2010, Mauro Lacy wrote:
On 06/07/2010 07:29 PM, <mailto:mix...@bigpond.com>mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,

I think the whole notion of quantum entanglement is nonsense. When two
*correlated* particles are produced, they are like mirror images of one another. That means that the subsequent response of one is *correlated* to the response
of the other (not caused by it).
Take as an example a box containing pairs of red and blue balls. If one ball of any given pair in New York is red, then it's no surprise that the other ball of
the pair in LA is blue, and it didn't suddenly become blue when someone first
saw that the other ball was red. It was already blue from the start. The
separation distance is irrelevant.

As far as I know, quantum entanglement is different, because it's possible not only to observe but also to change the status of one of the particles, and the other will immediately reflect the opposite change. It's like the two particles are not only mirror images one of the other, but one and the same, or better said, mirror aspects of something underlyingly unique. It's like if instead of having a pair of color balls, you'll have a pair of switches, and whenever you change one of the switches, the other changes accordingly.

I tried to write a response to Roarty's comment and found it difficult to distinguish the "change" from there simply being a maintained difference from the beginning. If I'm correct, the separated entities (photons, atoms, electrons) behave as a superposition of states, which would show up as being able to pop up as either state, and also to interfere with themselves, as in a two-slot experiment (which requires that they be superpositions, if I'm correct, i.e., "waves" rather than "particles,"), but then, when one is "collapsed" into a unique state, the other behaves, then, as the opposite state only. This is the "spooky action at a distance" that Einstein was concerned about.

Roarty's comment assumes that the two entangled entitys are "really" only one or the other state, from the beginning.

I searched for and found no really good explanations of quantum entanglement and why this interpretation isn't considered legitimate, but my sense is that this is because it then leaves unexplained the behavior of each particle, before one is "revealed," and the other then is revealed immediately as the opposite, as if it is both states at once.

Mauro, how can you tell the difference between the "pair of switches," with one of the pair in one state and the other in the other, from the beginning, only hidden, from quantum entanglement, which assumes that both switches are in both states until one is checked, and then both are revealed. All the explanations I saw did not explain why one would follow the "both-states" interpretation. I think it has to do with the behavior of each "particle" prior to collapse, just as a beam of electrons impinging on two slits will form an interference pattern on a screen, as if each electron goes through two holes, as a wave, but anything that one does to cause or determine that a particular electron goes only through one hole will eliminate the interference pattern, and one will get only an image of each hole from the separate passages.