stephen, the steam does absorb more energy, but this manifests as a faster flow
of steam rather than as a temperature increase.
Harry
From: Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>

[sal responds:]

Nuh, uh.

You, also, are making the mistake of imagining this as a boiler with a fixed
water supply, with a submerged heating element, and with the steam emission
rate
determined by the power level.  None of those assumptions are correct.

In this case, the steam output rate is fixed and is determined by the positive
displacement pump.  It is not related to the power level.

Let me say it again:  This is not an open boiler!  This is a tube, open at one
end, with water being pumped in the other end, at a constant, fixed rate, and
sufficient heat being applied in the middle of the tube to (at least) boil all
the water as it arrives.  What, exactly, keeps the newly produced steam which
is
produced from absorbing more heat from the walls of the tube as it continues
its
way along the reactor?  Nothing, of course.

Furthermore, water vapor, like any gas, obeys PV = nRT, and if you boost the
temperature of the steam while holding the pressure constant at 1 atm, you just
boost its volume.  Nothing magic there!  To claim you can't have steam hotter
than 100C unless you put it under more than 1 atm of pressure makes about as
much sense as saying you can't have oxygen hotter than -183C unless you put it
under more than 1 atm of pressure!  (Seriously, think about that one -- the
analogy is exact.)

In an open boiler with a submerged heating element, the steam won't rise above
100 C, because its temperature is buffered by the liquid water with which it's
in contact.  In a pipeline, once the water has boiled away to steam, the steam
is no longer in intimate contact with liquid water, but it's still in contact
with the heating element, and there's nothing to keep it from getting hotter as
it moves along the tube.