Here is a slide showing of some their earlier  work showing how crushing
granite
produces neutrons.

Some nice graphs which plot neutron counts against mechanical loading.
http://files.splinder.com/4ae1443c64aa2e0faf9cdca00d8e7148.pdf

The crushing load is coincident with a momentary spike in neutrons.

harry