<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> >ANSWER: THE PUMP IS A PERISTALTIC PUMP. THE FLOW OF WATER HAS BEEN
> >MEASURED BEFORE TURNING ON THE REACTOR BY THE PROFESSORS WHO MADE
> THE TEST, BY OPENING THE CIRCUIT AND CHRONOMETRING THE AMOUNT OF WATER
> THAT >FILLED UP A RESERVOIR OF 1 LITER.
>

> Note that the flow rate was measured before the pump was connected to the
> reactor. If the reactor itself contained some mechanical restriction that
> reduced the flow rate, then the actual flow during the test would have been
> less. This is another reason why the output flow should be collected.

I think this refers to the Jan. 14 test. What Rossi is saying here is that
they left the reservoir on a weight scale (as you see in the photos), and
they measured the total reduction in weight over the course of the run. This
method is as good as collecting the output flow.

You could not easily collect the flow in this test because it was steam.
Probably a mixture of steam and hot water by the time it reached the sink.
The only way to collect is would be to sparge it into a tank of cold water,
which you weigh before and after. You also measure the temperature of the
tank before and after to determine total enthalpy. As I said at the time, I
wish they had done that. But it takes a lot of effort and heavy containers
of water. It is easier to do in a factory using a steel drum and fork lift,
which is what they do at Hydrodynamics. After the test, they drive the steel
drum full of ~80°C water out into the parking lot and dump it. It is kind of
dangerous.