I wrote:

> I think this refers to the Jan. 14 test. What Rossi is saying here is that
> they left the reservoir on a weight scale (as you see in the photos), and
> they measured the total reduction in weight over the course of the run. This
> method is as good as collecting the output flow.

Okay, that is not what Rossi is saying, but that is what he said elsewhere.
What he said here is:

CHRONOMETRING THE AMOUNT OF WATER THAT FILLED UP A RESERVOIR OF 1 LITER.

Pretty sure that means:

Measuring the time it takes for the water to fill a 1 liter container.

They did that as well as keeping track of the weight of water lost from the
reservoir. They could only do that at the end of the hose before steam
generation began.

It is a good idea to measure key parameters using a variety of methods.

"Chronometering" is not standard English but perhaps it is how you say this
in Italian. The  meaning is clear. Google finds 107 examples of this word in
English documents.