On Apr 14, 2011, at 8:16 AM, Peter Gluck wrote:

As regarding Pd based clasical LENR/CF a total characterization
of say Pd cathodes is much too complex- beyond what is called
usually quality controll. Terrible difficulties of describing metallurgy, morphology, granularity etc.We have to appreciate the heroic efforts
and work of so many good scientists, I think

peter

Yes, the the efforts by many were heroic and admirable. Some of the best electrochemists in the world have worked on LENR, including Bockris and Fleischmann himself. Extremely clean sealed experiments have been performed. I recall experiments with single crystals of pure Pd.

Despite rigorously clean experiments, no practical method was found. On the other hand, comparatively dirty open cell codeposition experiments produced more reliable results. I think this is due to the variability of the lattice conditions required to create some small amount of effective environments. For this reason, I think impurities are probably key, and the highly variable internal conditions of metallic glasses should be useful.

As to Rossi, his quality control rested with the only person with the skills to produce his nickel catalyst mix, an old man in his 80's working away on an old machine. My imagination sees this happening in a poorly lit room somewhere in a decaying rustic European building. That's the way it should be in the film version anyway. 8^)

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/