At 02:06 PM 6/2/2011, Joshua Cude wrote:
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

Cude>>Maybe, but Rossi OK'd them.

Lomax> Yes, he did. However, the point was that this was not simply what Cude claimed, using "his own designates."

OK. I used the wrong word. I don't think my message is significantly weakened if I make the same claim using "vetted observers" or something like that.

Polemically, and as far as probabilities of collusion or gullibility, it's very different, and that's why, I suggest, Joshua used the wording he did. He didn't use the "wrong word," he used exactly the wording he wanted to present his point.

> Now, I've corresponded with scientists at Wikipedia who were actually skeptical but who did not want to be known as even thinking that cold fusion might be real, or as willing to look at evidence, they were afraid for their careers.

I agree, this is a problem.

<Abd falls over, in a faint. Recovering, ....>

Many would simply dismiss the idea and not want to waste their time. So yes, finding credible experts is a problem. Sending ecats out under NDAs would be easier, but also not likely to happen.

That's why you pay the experts, like Robert Duncan. There aren't many who will risk their professional future without being paid. (This isn't any slight against Duncan, in the least, rather it's kudos to Kullander and Essen. Unless, I suppose, Ny Teknik paid them as consultants -- which would be perfectly okay.

I'll note that some major cold fusion researchers were exactly that, researchers who had no dog in the race except serving their clients. This would be Michael McKubre, as perhaps the foremost example, but we could also add Nate Hoffman, even if Jed Rothwell starts spitting a mixture of wet and dry steam. It was Hoffman's skeptical presentation that actually alerted me, the most, to the possibility that CF was real. Hoffman was a real skeptic. Sure, he may have made some mistakes. But everyone makes mistakes.

Kullander and Essen and Lewan might have made some mistakes too. But their medal for bravery stands anyway. The courage to investigate includes and covers the possibility of making mistakes. Someone like Joshua Cude has nothing to lose, he can spout what turns out to be complete nonsense and, he imagines, he'll suffer no consequences.

That's an illusion. He will have to live with what he's written and said for the rest of his life. He'll know. And, I wonder, what will he tell his children and grandchildren, if he has any?

That's why I'm fixated on a completely visual demonstration. Boiling 1000 L of water in the middle of an open field with nothing but an ecat would attract attention. The thing about this revolutionary claim is that a visual demonstration is possible. Why not give one.

We have explained why not many times, and that Joshua is fixated on something else doesn't mean anything. Rossi isn't in the least interested in pleasing Joshua. He doesn't even care about pleasing me, nor do I have any right at all to expect that he would. He did the work, his life and reputation and money are invested, he deserves his reward.

Which, by the way, would include opprobrium and even possibly jail time if he is committing a fraud, even a "pious" one. (I.e, say he believes that this thing works, there is just this little kink, and to get over this hump, well ... suppose that Joshua is right about steam and mist, and Rossi knows it, but allows the deceptive appearance to be maintained. Suppose that the story of the heated factory for so long is a lie, "but it won't matter once we have that Defkalion plant going."

I know of only one possible fact that would lead to a possibility of criminal fraud, though there might be more: that would be whatever representations might have been made to Ampenergo, which has apparently actually made a payment. Defkalion, probably not, from what's been said. All the mouth flapping to the media means nothing. It's worth what was paid for it, in a sense.

And, remember, if this is real, Rossi deserves fabulous wealth.

Wrong. I have specified the experiment that would be convincing of excess heat. I don't think there is an experiment that would convince some CF advocates that they are wrong.

Joshua's world view divides people up into two camps. The properly skeptical, which is the people of solid knowledge and understanding, i.e., him and people like him, and the gullible, who believe what they want to beleive and who cannot be moved.

In reality, almost all people are in the second camp, especially including Joshua, at least with respect to some things. Scientists, real ones, are trained away from this, but the training is not perfect. The habit lingers, and it linger more with some than with others.

I cannot speak for others, but am I a "cold fusion advocate"? Personally, I wonder what that would mean. I was a Wikipedia editor, skeptical on cold fusion, having believed, with almost everyone else who paid attention to the events of 1989, that it had been scientifically shown to be an error. Then I came across an abuse of administrative privilege, to blacklist the lenr-canr.org web site. Eh? Why? Was it being spammed? I looked. No. Links were being used, in modest numbers, in reasonably appropriate places. Since lenr-canr.org is not a "reliable source," by Wikipedia standards, occasionally an inappropriate page would be used, but this kind of event would normally not even come close to triggering blacklisting, which is for *massive* addition of links, by policy.

So I confronted that, and began to take an interest in the article. And began to read the sources. Quite simply, I was -- like many others before me -- amazed by what I found. There had, indeed, been massive behavior of "scientists" in a way that was not quite fraud, but that had a fraudulent effect. That is, experimental evidence was discarded based, not on controlled experiment demonstrating artifact, but simply by unsubstantiated allegations of error.

Does this prove that cold fusion is real? No. However, several years of review of the evidence have convinced me that the evidence for *some kind of low energy nuclear reaction* is very strong, i.e, a million to one.

And when I read the statements of eminent or respectable scientists and authors who negate this, I notice that they are holding on to, believing blatant misconceptions about the *history* of this science. That leads me to conclude that the situation is quite what, if we look carefully, Joshua claims it is:

"Reputable scientists" won't even look at the evidence!

Does this mean that I "believe" in cold fusion? Well, I no longer maintain an operating *disbelief.* Here is the challenge implicit in Joshua's comment; I'll simply mirror what he's asking for about Rossi -- which he won't get from Rossi, not this year, probably.

Much of the early skepticism was based on the lack of ash. What was this nuclear reaction with no product? Few expected helium, for reasons that I and anyone else understanding normal d-d fusion could explain in our sleep. And if there were helium, we could also explain, there would be -- why, there must be! -- gamma rays.

So Huizenga knew it was important when Miles confirmed helium commensurate with heat. With no gamma rays.

Okay, the experiment that will pull the rug out from under my acceptance of cold fusion: do the replicable experiment, it's pretty simple, and plenty of people have done it. Do it well! Do good calorimetry, use careful experimental technique, *to replicate the Fleischmann-Pons Heat Effect,* which could mean using some "bad" procedure, in some sense; i.e., whatever it takes to get the effect, following the work of others, so that there is confidence in the results, that you are seeing the FPHE, not some new form of calorimetry error. In fact, if you want to be sneaky, announce the work at this point.

But, as part of the design, collect and measure helium. Run a series of cells, not just a couple, record the "escess heat" results from all of them. If this is the FPHE, almost certainly, you will see much variation in results -- or you've made a different kind of discovery!

Collect the helium. Ideally, melt the cathodes down.... or accept that you will probably get, with solid palladium cathodes, only half the helium. For this purpose, that's okay, it would just be better and more accurate if you could get it all.

Code the helium samples and have an independent laboratory measure the helium. The compare the heat and the helium, cell by cell. Determine the correlation.

And then, using controlled experiment, show that the apparent excess heat is artifact, whatever that takes. What it would take is not known, but it's commonly asserted that the FPHE disappears when more accurate measurements are made. That is obviously false, from examining much of the most solid research, but, hey, PROVE IT!

Demonstrate the errors.

To apply this to the old example of N-rays, the required experiment would not have been simply an anecdote, which is what Wood demonstrated. It would have been a controlled study, using mechanisms that would lead to double-blind tests of the observation of N-ray effects. Use mechanical shutters to control film exposure, for example. Show statistically that the correlation between the (now hidden and controlled) experimental conditions and the observations is chance. N-rays were probably an artifact of expectation, at the edges of perception, where expectations can have a huge effect; at least that's the standard explanation, and I think it's probably true. So, just how does this artifact work? Show that it works! Show that expectation affects what is perceived. Wood did not actually do that! He merely created suspicion.

> And from what I can tell, that's exactly what Rossi wants at this time.

Fine. But I if even Rossi agrees that his demos don't give evidence of excess heat, why exactly should I think there is excess heat?

You shouldn't. But neither should you think that there is no excess heat, unless you have, yourself, clear evidence that there is not.

> Fraud? Maybe. It's looking really unlikely to me, but "really unlikely" is not "impossible." What I know is that LENR is possible, that's not in question,

Hmm. I thought you said belief like this is not a scientific position. It's religious. A little bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

Nope. I'm not attached to it. The work I'm doing is experimental, investigational. I'm dedicated to reporting what I find and how I find it, as exactly as possible, and to making it easy to replicate. Whatever it is. I do have what I'd call an *operating assumption* that LENR is possible, which was built from years of review of the evidence.

To give an idea of what it took, take a look at page 7 of http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/McKubreMCHcoldfusion.pdf, a graph of results from P13/P14. I must have seen that graph dozens of times before I realized what it implied. Does McKubre really explain it in this slide show?

No. Nor have I seen him explain it in a way that will convey the point I'll be making. He knows the point, he'll recognize it immediately, I'm sure, but I don't think I've seen it explained by anyone anywhere, except for me, in a few discussions.

These were closed cells, operated at low current for long times to build and maintain very high loading, at 90% or more. P13 was light water, P14 was heavy water. P13 and P14 were in series, so they both experienced the same current. Presumably the cells were identical except for light vs heavy water. (In fact, if you look at the details of the original reports, the two cells do have a different full history, but that is probably moot in this case.) After sitting for a long time at low current, the current is ramped up as shown.

So here is what is completely obvious from that graph: there is a drastic difference in the excess heat calculated for the hydrogen cell -- which stays around zero, the error bars continue to include zero, as would be expected. But the deuterium cell excess heat tracks the current.

That alone is mysterious. If there is, for example, error in measuring input power, say high-frequency components of this power, perhaps caused by bubble noise, with bubbling increasing with current, couldn't this explain the apparent heat? The answer is no, in fact, but I can easily understand a remaining skepticism on this point. There are physical differences between hydrogen and deuterium, allegedly hydrogen will have smaller bubbles, perhaps, so less noise. However, the issue is current noise, and current noise would affect both cells.

What I can tell is that this graph doesn't convince most skeptics, because most skeptics don't study the orignal report so that they fully understand what they are seeing. They are seeing only one current excursion out of, as I recall, three. Basically, this current excursion was repeated three times. The excess heat was only seen one of these times.

The excess heat effect that McKubre reported was clear, well above noise, *and not appearing two out of three times, under what would otherwise appear to be identical conditions.*

I call this the "chimera." That the chimera was so clearly seen here, under conditions where it was missing at other times, shows that the appearance of the chimera is due to uncontrolled conditions. When it appeared, here, it was steady enough that I don't think it's truly chaotic, which would have been another possibility.

Which then explains the whole saga of cold fusion, why it was considered not reproducible, why so many researchers failed. The necessary conditions came to be much better understood, later, but still not completely, by any means. What the *other two current excursions* showed was that the calorimetry was working, no, it was not bubble noise (the bubbling would be the same each time, or almost so). You can see how the higher current produces, as expected, noiser results from hydrogen, that's all. But I have never seen a presentation from McKubre which actually shows the other two excursions!

(Is it in the original SRI report for EPRI?)

Skipping a whole lot of commentary that I just didn't care to read with any care, to this sad collection.

Murray Gell-Mann at a public forum (lecture at Portland State University in 1998):

"It's a bunch of baloney. Cold fusion is theoretically impossible, and there are no experimental findings that indicate it exists"

There goes Murray Gell-Mann in my mind. He doesn't address the issue of "theoretical impossiblity," he makes an off-hand comment, and claims there are "no experimental findings that indicate that it exists," which was, by then, ridiculous. You can question the findings, for sure, you can question anything, but that he claims they don't exist simply shows to me that he's not speaking from knowledge, but from ignorant opinion, and that's possible for anyone.

Sheldon Glashow in an interview somewhere:

Devins: I guess there are stories where people don't do that too, but those are not the ones that advance science.

Glashow: Yeah, there's cold fusion, there's the French story about n-rays, which is a long story about something which doesn't exist.

That's not clear in meaning, and, again, indicates an off-hand comment, spur of the moment, off-the-cuff, simply repeating the common "wisdom." The French story about N-rays is indeed about something that doesn't exist (well, technically, N-rays exist, but only in the mind of certain observers; however, that's true for everything, in a sense, complicated issue. I'll allow that according to ordinary usage, "N-rays don't exist" is a very probable fact.") So what did he mean about cold fusion? The quote does not actually show it.

Steven Weinberg: The evidence for all these miracles seems to me to be considerably weaker than the evidence for cold fusion, and I don't believe in cold fusion.

That's interesting. He doesn't "believe in cold fusion," nor would I expect him to, but he does seem to think that there is some evidence for it, stronger than "for all these miracles," whatever they were. Since he was talking about "these miracles," there must be *some kind of evidence for them.* Are you aware, Joshua, of the common-law principle that evidence is presumed true unless controverted? Legal systems are largely based on that, it's part of the rules of procedure and established legal principles.

But I am prepared to admit the possibility of CF, and in fact was hopeful for it after P&F, and have described an experiment that would merit full blown investigation into CF.

Really? Where? Note that CF doesn't depend -- at all -- on Rossi. Rossi is a different approach, and quite possibly a different effect, than what P&F discovered.

You, and others, have claimed absolute certainty about CF.

Nope. I don't claim absolute certainty about anything. I've claimed a probability that the Miles results for heat/helium were based on common cause, with a probability of a million to one that this isn't chance.

Can you describe an experiment (in more than vague terms) that would get you to admit it is not real?

I cannot "admit" what cannot be shown. Nor could a single experiment, itself, reverse the impact of hundreds of them. However, a single experiment that addresses and demonstrates the cause of what the hundreds of experiments showed would raise questions, and if the experiment were confirmed, there it would go. I've described the experiment above. To repeat:

Set up the FPHE. That is, replicate it. That this can be done is shown by the fact that hundreds have done it. Pick an approach that isn't idiosyncratic (there are many approaches that have been used, and many forms of calorimetry. Pick a decent one that works and has multiple deomonstrations.)

Use the same techniques to measure heat, but, if there are shortcomings in this technique address them. Make the measurements more accurate, but be able to simulate the original measurements (basically, use more accurate instrumentation; which can then simulate less accurate instrumentation by discarding the precision in calculation, or, say there is some source of heat: measure the source but neglect this in the first analysis that shows the FPHE. The goal would be that CF researchers would say, Yes, by George! He's found it! if they see the less precise data).

And measure helium. Again, do a better job than others did, if possible, or at least as good a job!

If your results show anomalous heat, then explain it and show with controlled experiment, or better analysis, that the results disappear when properly controlled.

And, of course, there is that helium. If you don't see helium, the suspicion will be strong that you have not set up the FPHE. So to make this complete, you have to find helium, and show the source of it, and explain why it correlates with the heat, without the cause being a nuclear reaction.

Good luck. Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time with this one. But some grad student might. Of course, the problem is that, even though this kind of research could have saved many millions of dollars in wasted effort if it had been done in, say, 1990, any grad student who tried to work with cold fusion found that it was not considered legitimate research, forget about that PhD, Fred! Go do something else!

> The day of reckoning is coming.

Don't make it sound like a threat. I'd be every bit as thrilled as you if CF turns out to be real. I shudder at the legacy of climate change we are leaving to our descendants. And I hate paying for gas.

I'm not personally threatening Joshua, to be very clear. I'm warning him of the consequences of his position, as they will naturally fall on him, if he persists with high probability.

Joshua made some nice noises, a little, in what I deleted. I have no objection if he starts to think in that way. Skepticism is healthy, it's pseudoskepticism which is not.